Medical Association of Atlanta
Bylaws Revision 2010 [last revised 09.04]
Summary Statement of Major Changes:
- Mission statement was updated to reflect recently adopted language changes and to be consistent with the website message.
- New applicants require only a single endorsement. Applicants who have transferred to Atlanta are not required to have been an active member in their former county medical society.
- The definition of an active member has been simplified, eliminating the categories of associate members and service members. In addition, retired members will now be eligible to vote and to hold office.
- Bylaws previously stated that the Judiciary, Grievance and Disciplinary Committees were standing committees of the Association. These committees are essentially holdovers from a prior era when the Association served different functions for Atlanta physicians. They will now be ad hoc committees, which can be appointed by the President as needed.
- Officers of the Board, with the exception of the Secretary, shall accede annually to a new office as defined by the Bylaws. The Secretary shall be elected annually. New responsibilities of fiduciary oversight have been added to the job description of the Treasurer.
- Business of the Association may be conducted through electronic communication, and does not necessarily require written communication.
- Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the MAG House of Delegates, other than the Board of Directors, shall be elected by the Board of Directors. Previous language had the membership-at-large electing delegates and alternate delegates.
- There are several new standing committees of the Association: Finance, Investment, Membership/Recruitment, Nominating, Programs/Activities and House of Delegates. Deleted committees include Disciplinary, Judicial and Grievance. Retained committees are Community Service, Legislative and Editorial Board.
- There was language added to clarify annual financial review requirements.
Robert J. Albin, M.D.
Chair, Bylaws Committee
Past President, MAA
Alternate Delegate, MAG
MAA By-laws adopted June 17 2010.pdf